|Old Fort, on the line of the "Nickel Plate"
Railroad was platted in June 1882 and recorded on October 1 of that year for
R. R. Titus. Titus was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut on July 21,
1891 and died in Pleasant Township May 26, 1893. His family having moved
to Ohio in 1833.
Titus stayed in Seneca County for a short time, before moving to Michigan, and, in 1838, he moved to Chicago, Illinois, where he entered government employ. While there, he assisted in moving the Indians to Council Bluffs, Iowa. Later he returned to Seneca County and purchased nearly 1,000 acres of land in Pleasant Township.
When the railroad depot was constructed in 1885, it was named "Fort Seneca Station." After the depot was completed, a Post Office was established at the Fort Seneca railroad station. The Post Office could not be given the name of Fort Seneca, since that had already been established at "Swope's Corner" (in the town which is now Fort Seneca).
The name of "Old Fort" was decided upon for the post office at the new station, and James Sheidler served as the first postmaster. The difference of the two names caused much confusion and the name of the railroad station was changed to Old Fort in the year 1908.