|The location of the village of Attica at the
crossing of Tiffin and Sandusky roads was selected in 1833 by William and
Samuel Miller and surveyed for them by David Risdon. Four years prior to
this time, Ezra Gilbert built a cabin in the center of what is now the
village where he kept a tavern and established a post office, named after
his old home, Attica, New York.
Nathan Merriman's store was also established here and within five years from the day of Gilbert's settlement, the place grew from one log cabin to be a village of twenty dwellings and of a population bordering on 100. In 1831, the first frame house in Venice Township was erected by Jacob Newkirk in the business center of the village.
Attica was platted April 7, 1833. The business circle in 1884-85 comprised the following:
Druggists, tailors, livery, cooper and baker businesses completed the business center.
Dr. H. G. Blaine and George Stoner were editors of the Attica Journal. The old buildings which occupied the site of the William Rininger building, were destroyed by fire in 1853. In 1856 another fire swept away the old William Miller Hotel, northwest corner of Main and Tiffin Streets. Subsequently the Chandler Block was erected on the spot.